For sure, we can easily order a pizza from pizza shops however, there is nothing like baking your own homemade pizza on Saturday evening. It’s even more wonderful if fresh ingredients are coming directly from your home garden. There is something about it that everybody seems to love. Also, it can be a great family fun and entertainment when school’s are out for summer. Here is my great veggie pizza recipe for this summer.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce (regular or spicy)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh minced ginger
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach (optional)
- 1 pinch fresh Thai chilli peppers (optional if you want it spicy)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
Prep- 40 minutes
Cook- 20 minutes Ready In- 2 hours 30 minutes Yield Size – 2 medium pizza
- Sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water in a small bowl. Let it stand for 5 minutes until yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam.
- Add flour, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Mix oil into dry ingredients; stir in yeast mixture. Take out dough when it’s ready. Knead it onto a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, then place dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a plastic sheet and let it rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet/pan with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Knead the dough again and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Shape dough into rounds and let rest for 10 minutes. Form dough into rounds, and place onto prepared baking sheet/pan.
- Spread pizza sauce over dough with a spatula or back of a spoon. Sprinkle with 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese; top with bell pepper, spinach, onion, tomatoes,fresh Thai chilli peppers, minced ginger,and mushroom. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese over top.
- Bake in preheated oven until crust is browned and crisp and cheese have melted, 17 to 20 minutes.
- let it stand for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves for garnish.
- Slice into 6 pieces each and serve immediately.